Education knows no boundaries, and the A.U. Emerging Global Leader Scholarship at American University in Washington, DC, exemplifies this notion. The A.U. Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is designed for high-achieving international students seeking a Bachelor’s Degree in the United States. More than just financial support, it is a beacon for those dedicated to fostering positive civic and social change in their home countries. In this article, we will See the details of this transformative scholarship opportunity.
The A.U. Emerging Global Leader Scholarship targets international students with a deep commitment to improving under-resourced and underserved communities in their home countries. It is a unique opportunity for those who aspire to return home armed with knowledge and a passion for positive change.
Host Institution and Fields of Study
American University, located in Washington DC, USA, is the proud host of this scholarship program. It is open to students pursuing any undergraduate field of study offered by the university.
Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Value and Duration
This scholarship is nothing short of comprehensive. It covers all billable expenses at American University, including full tuition, room, and board. However, it is essential to note that it does not cover non-billable expenses like mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, and miscellaneous costs (approximately U.S. $4,000).
Moreover, the A.U. Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is renewable for up to four years of undergraduate study, contingent upon the maintenance of satisfactory academic performance.
The scholarship program gives preference to international students who have overcome obstacles and hail from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Maintain a minimum GPA equivalent of 3.8 (or be in the top 10% of their graduating class) for grades 9th-12th.
- Demonstrate a solid commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and addressing the needs of their home country.
- Exhibit proficiency in English through scores such as TOEFL iBT (95+ with all subscores at 20 or above), IELTS (7.0+ with all subscores at 6.0 or above), SAT (minimum Reading Subscore of 33), ACT (minimum English score of 29), PTE (minimum score of 65), Duolingo (120+ with all subscores at 110 or above), or Cambridge Assessment English (185 or higher with each subscore at 169 or above).
- Be enrolled in secondary/high school and set to graduate by June 2023.
It is recommended that students enrolled in the International Baccalaureate (I.B.) program aim to obtain a complete I.B. diploma, which entails completing a minimum of three Higher Level (H.L.) subjects. In accordance with the requirements of the British A-Levels system, it is mandatory for students to successfully do a minimum of three A levels and finish a total of thirteen years of academic study prior to August of the year 2023.
It is essential to be aware of the criteria that make applicants ineligible:
- Individuals who possess U.S. citizenship, U.S. permanent residency, or hold dual citizenship with the U.S. and another country are deemed ineligible.
- Applicants who have already commenced post-secondary studies at another university in their home country or the United States are ineligible.
- Graduates of secondary school before 2021 cannot apply.
Application Process and Deadlines
Applications for 2024 will open in mid-September 2023. To apply for the A.U. Emerging Global Leader Scholarship, you must complete the AU EGLS application, either the Common or Coalition Application, and the international admissions process by the priority deadline of 15 December 2022 or the final deadline of 15 January 2023. Please note that AU EGLS applicants must apply under the Regular Decision for the fall semester in August 2023; Early Decision applications are not accepted.
For detailed information on how to apply and access the application form, please visit the official scholarship website.
The A.U. Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is a remarkable opportunity for international students to not only receive a world-class education but also to develop the skills and dedication needed to effect meaningful change in their home communities. With its comprehensive support and emphasis on leadership and service, this scholarship embodies the spirit of education as a force for positive transformation. Apply today and be part of a global network of future leaders driving change in underserved communities worldwide.