The Confucius Institute Scholarship is a fully funded opportunity to study Chinese language, culture, and teaching methods in China. With over 150 participating universities, this scholarship covers tuition, housing, insurance, and a monthly stipend. If you want to study in China, the Confucius Institute Scholarship application for 2024 opens in early 2023. Here’s what you need to know about eligibility, requirements, and the step-by-step application process.
Overview of the Confucius Institute Scholarship
The Confucius Institute Scholarship program is run by Hanban, the headquarters of Confucius Institutes worldwide. These scholarships aim to support the study of Chinese language and culture, train Chinese language teachers, and develop friendly relations between China and other countries.
There are three main categories of scholarships:
- Chinese language and culture courses
- Master’s in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
- Bachelor’s in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL)
Scholarships are awarded for periods of 4 weeks, one semester, one academic year, or 2-4 years for bachelor’s and master’s programs.
The Confucius Institute Scholarship covers the full cost of study in China, including:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation (shared dormitory room)
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Monthly living allowance (around $350-500 USD)
- International airfare (in some cases)
To qualify for the Confucius Institute Scholarship, you must:
- Be aged 16-35 years old (45 years old for current Chinese teachers)
- Have no Chinese citizenship
- Be in good mental and physical health
- Meet Chinese language requirements (HSK test scores)
- Have a high school diploma or bachelor’s degree
- Submit letters of reference (1 for short programs, 2 for master’s)
How to Apply
Step 1: Choose a Program & University
Decide which category of scholarship you want to apply for along with your preferred universities in China. You can select 2 university choices.
Step 2: Submit Your Application Online
The Confucius Institute Scholarship online application is available from early March to early May each year. You’ll need to create an account and upload supporting documents.
Step 3: Send Physical Copies of Documents
Print and send hard copies of your documents to the nearest Confucius Institute or Chinese embassy. This includes your passport, transcripts, letters of reference, etc.
Step 4: Check Scholarship Results
Results are announced in early July for programs starting in September, or early January for programs starting in March.
Step 5: Finalize Your Visa
If awarded a scholarship, you’ll receive visa application documents to apply for your X1 or X2 student visa.
- Start preparing your documents early – have translations and transcripts ready.
- Choose flexible university options – admissions are very competitive.
- Contact your local Confucius Institute for help with the process.
- Be patient – it takes time to receive results and visa documents.
The Confucius Institute Scholarship is an amazing opportunity to immerse yourself in Chinese language and culture. With proper preparation and persistence, you can win this prestigious and fully funded scholarship in 2024!